imaginary outfit: beekeeper



I've been spending my time these days looking for new jobs. It makes me envy the bee hive - a ready-made world of non-negotiable work from birth until death. But that's only some bees. The rest, apparently, are like me - scrabbling around, trying to keep fed and working to build a home. Per Wikipedia:
Most other bees ... are solitary in the sense that every female is fertile, and typically inhabits a nest she constructs herself. There are no worker bees for these species. Solitary bees typically produce neither honey nor beeswax ... Solitary bees create nests in hollow reeds or twigs, holes in wood, or, most commonly, in tunnels in the ground... While solitary females each make individual nests, some species are gregarious, preferring to make nests near others of the same species, giving the appearance to the casual observer that they are social.
Gregarious and solitary - I like that. It about sums me up, too. 

I can't help wishing for a role as clear-cut as a bee's or a beekeeper's. It's weary work explaining all the hyphenates littering my life. The world prefers the specific to the general.